If you’re baking cupcakes for a special get-together, you want them to be as attractive as possible. Even if you don’t have a lot of baking experience, you can get gorgeous results from your decorating efforts by keeping these five tips in mind.
1. Start with room temperature icing. While it’s fine to make icing ahead of time and refrigerate it until you’re ready to use it, you don’t want to start with chilled frosting. When icing is cold, it is thicker and more difficult to spread, which will make it harder to neatly spread.
2. Use the right tool. Icing should be done with a metal spatula with a long thin blade. Don’t try to use a spoon or a butter knife.
3. Start with 2 tablespoons of frosting for a standard cupcake. Put the icing right in the center of the cake and then spread outward.
4. Rinse your spatula between spread and finishing the corners to remove excess frosting. Don’t try your spatula. A small amount of moisture will make it easier to edge.
5. Always bake some extras. Accidents can happen to even the most seasoned of decorators! If you bake a few extra cupcakes, you won’t have to panic about errors.
Remember: the cupcake stand that you choose to display your treats on can greatly affect their appearance. Contact us for assistance selecting the perfect cupcake stand.