Many home bakers shy away from using cake mix for making cupcakes because even though cakes and cupcakes are similar, the ideal cupcake differs from cake in its richness and consistency. Still, you can get great results from baking cupcakes with a cake mix just by making a few small changes to the recipe on the box. For best results, follow these tips:
1. Use buttermilk in place of water. The tang of buttermilk helps to make cupcakes more flavorful and richer. If you have leftover buttermilk, freeze it in an ice cube tray to use for subsequent cupcake baking.
2. Add four eggs per box of cake mix. Regardless of the recipe of the box, use four eggs to get a dense, moist cupcake every time.
3. Warm ingredients to room temperature. Your eggs and buttermilk should be at room temperature before use. While you don’t want to leave the items outside of the fridge long enough to pose a danger, you don’t want them to feel cold to the touch.
4. Use a stand or hand mixer for blending and continue mixing for five minutes to ensure that enough air enters the batter.
5. If you’re making a large batch of cupcakes and need to reuse the pans over and over, be sure to let them cool for at least 15 minutes before filling them.