It’s a common tradition to save a slice of wedding cake or the entire top tier of the cake for couples to eat on their 1-year anniversary. If you’ve opted to serve cupcakes instead of a wedding cake, you can enjoy this fun tradition by setting aside two to freeze.
To freeze your cupcakes and have the best-tasting treats on your anniversary, follow these steps:
- Wrap the cupcakes individually in plastic wrap or greaseproof paper
- Cover the wrapped cupcakes with aluminum foil.
- Place them inside of a plastic bag. Push out as much air as possible and then seal the bag.
- Store the cupcakes at the back of the freezer, where they will stay the coldest. Never put them on the door.
When it comes time to enjoy your cupcakes:
- Remove the cupcakes from the freezer.
- Unwrap the cupcakes completely and set them on a plate. Space them far enough part that they are not touching.
- Allow the cupcakes to rest at room temperature for 1-1/2 to 3 hours. Check back periodically and use a paper towel to collect any water that forms on the plate or on the icing.
- Once thawed, enjoy!
Keep in mind that you should never freeze cupcakes that have been iced with cream cheese, raw egg or raw/fresh cream as this can pose a health risk.
You should also avoid freezing cupcakes that are filled with cream. Some couples opt to have their bakery create two un-filled cupcakes for their anniversary treats.
If you have questions about freezing cupcakes or serving cupcakes at your wedding, please don’t hesitate to contact us.